Natural dimples are present in everyone but most often they present only when the face is animated to an exaggerated extent, in the rest it becomes visible with a simple smile. This difference is due to a difference in the architecture around the facial muscles and the overlying skin.
By a minor plastic surgery under local anesthesia we can create a dimple on one or both sides of the face as a day care procedure. This procedure is becoming hugely popular among both men and women. The location and the size of dimple can be tailored to one’s needs after a consultation with Dr.Venkat Thota.
- Anaethesia: Local or General
- Duration of surgery: 20 minutes
- Stay at the clinic: Can leave after 1-2 hours after the surgery.
- Implants: none
- Rest at home before resuming office work: One can return to regular day to day
activities after the procedure.
- Procedure: A punch biopsy is performed over the target which is later effectively closed and approximated with the underlying muscle and surrounding skin to create a ‘defect’ for the dimple. The skin will flatten in a week or two. Internal scarring takes place in the site of biopsy connecting the muscle to the skin, thereby making a dimple visible when one smiles.
AFTER CARE RECOVERY
- One should expect a minimal swelling after the procedure, which is normal and usually resolves in a couple of days.
- Regular mouth rinsing is advised and a course of antibiotics will be prescribed.
- Avoid strenuous physical work and contact sports which may cause injury to the face.
- The operated site typically takes 7 to 10 days to heal and one will be able to site taking the shape of a dimple over the course of next couple of weeks. Results should be apparent within a month.
RISKS AND COMPLICATIONS
There are minimal complications associated with this surgery aside from a mild swelling & bruising which usually heal over time.
Some of the risks associated with any operation include
- Under/over correction
- Revisional surgery
- Weakness of the involved muscles (extremely rare).
Some complications which may occur specific to this surgery include
- Persistence of unwanted dimples without facial animation
- Complete disappearance of the surgically created dimple/dimples and this may warrant further surgery
- Sometimes the surgically created dimple on the cheek or the chin becomes shallower or completely disappears over time, in this case it can be done again. This usually happens in less than 5% of cases.
This is a relatively new procedure and long term effects are unknown at this point.
- Do not drink/eat any hot or cold substance till, effect of the local anesthetic wears off and till you feel the tactile sensation in your mouth. This helps avoid any thermal burns or cold sores.
- Maintain good oral hygiene by periodically rinsing with a mouth wash for at least 15 days after the surgery.
Click here for the cost of Chemical peel procedures.